Get Adobe Flash player
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New York is 3-9 with a game at AFC East-rival Buff

New York is 3-9 with a game at AFC East-rival Buff 4 years 9 months ago #2177

• zhangzk
  • Platinum Boarder
NEW YORK (AP) — The mood around the Jets’ facility was predictably somber Daniel Jones Jersey , a mix of disappointment and disbelief after another brutal loss.New York blew a 16-0 lead at Tennessee on Sunday before falling to the Titans 26-22, the team’s sixth straight defeat in what has spiraled into another lost season. “Frustration, obviously. (Ticked) off, obviously,” coach Todd Bowles said during a conference call Monday. “It’s one of them games you’ll remember for the rest of your life, as a player or a coach, and you’ll never forget about it. It can propel you to be better at your job or it can make you go in a shell. I don’t think we have those kinds of guys, but of course everybody’s frustrated and (ticked) off.”Bowles has come under heavy criticism in his fourth season as the losses have piled. While management has not commented on the coach’s future, it seems unlikely Bowles will return after this season. He has a 23-37 record and will fail to reach the playoffs in any of his seasons.It appeared the Jets might get a surprising win on the road Sunday, controlling most of the game against the Titans. But Marcus Mariota and Tennessee whittled away at New York’s lead before connecting with Corey Davis for an 11-yard go-ahead touchdown with 36 seconds left.The Jets had a chance — albeit unlikely — to answer back, but Josh McCown was intercepted by Malcolm Butler to end it.“Like I said, this game will stick with me for the rest of my life,” Bowles said. “I’ve been in about three of them, and this will go right up there with them games. You’re at your wits’ end for a second and then you come back — How can we get better? What do we’ve got to do? How can we improve? — and you go X, Y, Z and you keep on moving, keep grinding.”A few Jets players were relayed Bowles’ comments, and they echoed the sentiments of their embattled coach.“Guys are really sick,” nose tackle Steve McLendon said. “Like Coach Bowles said Quincy Williams II Jersey , it’s one of those games that’s really going to stick like glue for the rest of your career. Not just the rest of your career, but the rest of your life.”McLendon added that as professional athletes, he and his teammates will try to use the adversity as something to adjust to and move forward from.“Are we going to have the right attitude, or are we just going to give up and let adversity get the best of us?” he said. “I think for these next couple of weeks, it most definitely defines the character, the player, the man, the drive, the focus, the want-to, the will, the determination, the commitment. These next couple of weeks are really going to show what kind of man we are through adversity. … We have to hate losing more than we love winning.”Gloomy Monday mornings have been all too common for the Jets the past few seasons, and their current skid has been perhaps the biggest test for the team to stick together.Several players, including safety Jamal Adams and wide receiver Quincy Enunwa, have defended Bowles and stressed that it’s on the players to act like professionals and not make so many mistakes and commit penalties. Against the Titans, the Jets were flagged 11 times for 96 yards, including three times on the Titans’ final drive.New York’s special teams unit had a solid game, with Jason Myers kicking five field goals, Andre Roberts breaking off a few long returns Ryquell Armstead Jersey , and the Jets blocking an extra point and a punt.But, Jeremy Bates’ offense struggled to get anything going consistently, finishing with just 280 total yards and going 3 for 14 on third-down situations. The Jets have scored just one touchdown or less in each of the past five games.The defense also wilted late, allowing Tennessee to crawl back into the game — and win.“It’s everything when you struggle in any area,” Bowles said. “Offensively, you can say we can call better plays, you can say we can play better as players and it’s all the above and it’s all inclusive. It’s frustrating and it’s not from a lack of trying or everybody trying.“It just hasn’t happened and it’s extremely frustrating that we can’t get touchdowns instead of field goals.”The search for solutions has been an ongoing theme for Bowles and his staff, and they’re running out of time.“You never run out of answers as a coach because you might as well retire,” Bowles said. “You can be at your wits’ end and be (ticked) off and frustrated and not sleep at night, and you still have to wake up the next day. It’s my job to lead them into games the next week and to correct the mistakes and be a leader.” INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — When Kyler Murray joined the Heisman Trophy club in December, Charlie Ward thought about his initiation in 1993.Back then, the Florida State quarterback was the shiny new star, ready to embark on a world full of options.Everyone wanted to know if the promising dual-sport phenom could become the next Deion Sanders, the next Bo Jackson or perhaps an even bigger celebrity. His talent was off-the-chart good, and he seemed destined to be a winner wherever he went.A few weeks later, Ward sealed his fate by working harder on basketball than preparing for the NFL draft.The former NBA player never regretted that decision and doesn’t believe Murray should either after choosing football over baseball.“It was calculated and a risk, but it’s what I wanted to do,” Ward told The Associated Press earlier this week. “It’s the same thing I shared with Kyler at the Heisman dinner — when you make your decision, take your time and know there are consequences. I knew I wasn’t probably going to end up getting drafted (by the NFL) because I wasn’t 100 percent committed.”Murray insisted again Friday at the NFL’s annual scouting combine that he’s all-in on football, assuring Ward he’ll still be the last Heisman Trophy winner to never play a down in the NFL.If everything goes right this week in Indianapolis Gardner Minshew II Jersey , at Oklahoma’s pro day in mid-March and during the first day of the April draft, Murray will have one of the rarest resume lines in sports: First-round draft pick by the NFL and Major League Baseball.Not even Ward can’t boast about being a two-time first round pick — though he did start for the 1998-99 NBA runner-up New York Knicks.For Murray, it was an easy call.“Yes, it’s my final decision,” he told a throng of reporters Friday. “I’m here. I’m ready to go. There’s no turning back.”For others, the choice wasn’t so simple.Ward, now a high school basketball coach in Tallahassee, Florida, made up his mind when NFL scouts knocked him for his size and projected him as a mid-round pick. Murray heard similar questions before measuring in at 5-foot-10 1/8 in Indy.Sanders and Jackson, of course, balanced two-sport careers until essentially being forced to choose one.Tim Tebow, the 2007 Heisman winner, bounced around the NFL for several years then began pursuing a baseball career.Some, such as San Francisco Giants pitcher Jeff Samardzija, even have second thoughts.Smaradzija made up his mind after reporting to Notre Dame for football in 2006 after a six-week, minor-league stint. The side-by-side comparison helped the talented receiver select the sport that made him happier. But after working his way from the minors to the major-league level, Samaradzija wondered if he made the wrong choice when he was sent down in 2009.“I called up my agent and said, ‘All right, start lining up tryouts.'” he said. “We talked a day or two later and let the senses cool. I thought that looked chintzy to just quit right then and there. I wanted to give it a little more (time). It’s a learning process.”Murray believes it won’t happen to him.Since making the announcement Feb. 11, he has continually rejected any notion he’ll change sports — or use baseball as leverage.But football executives can’t simply take Murray at his word. Team doctors will spend this weekend poking and prodding Murray’s body for injuries Christian Wilkins Jersey , scouts will evaluate Murray’s strength and speed, and the league’s decision-makers will probe to see how committed Murray is to the sport.One of those conducting interviews could be Denver Broncos boss John Elway, whose threat of playing baseball forced the Baltimore Colts to trade him to Denver after taking him No. 1 overall in 1983. Elway spent his entire 16-year career in Denver, where he won two Super Bowls and the 1987 MVP award.“What I like about guys who do multiple sports is it shows me they’re great competitors and they want to be great at what they do,” Elway said. “They like to compete, whether it be football, basketball (or) baseball. The competitive side and the athleticism that they have to be successful in both is a big thing.”Murray fits the mold.The three-time Texas state football champion started his college career at Texas A&M then transferred to Oklahoma where he sat one season before serving as the backup to 2017 Heisman winner Baker Mayfield.Then, after being drafted No. 9 overall by the Oakland A’s last summer, Murray delivered his own award-winning football season.He completed 69 percent of his throws and finished with 4,361 yards, 42 touchdowns and seven interceptions, capping it with the Heisman dinner and an appearance in the College Football Playoff. And now everyone, including Ward, can’t wait to watch Murray’s next chapter.“I spoke with him at the Heisman dinner and haven’t spoken to him since,” Ward said. “I’m not sure if he’s throwing, but I’m sure he’s preparing himself for that and I wish him well in his career.”
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds