Get Adobe Flash player
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tim Anderson kept the White Sox in the game

Tim Anderson kept the White Sox in the game 5 years 2 weeks ago #2083

• zhangzk
  • Platinum Boarder
KANSAS CITY http://www.redsoxproshops.com/authentic-dustin-pedroia-jersey , Mo. (AP) — with his glove before he won it with his bat.Anderson hit a two-run homer in the 12th inning, and Chicago beat the Kansas City Royals 4-2 on Wednesday night.Anderson’s blast off Burch Smith (1-5), the sixth Royals pitcher, landed just beyond the fence in left-center. It was his 19th homer this season.“It was a good way to cap off the night,” Anderson said. “I was looking fastball. The at-bat before that, they started me off with a slider. The first pitch was a fastball up, and I had a feeling that he would throw me another one. I was able to jump on it.”In the bottom of the 11th, Rosell Herrera lined out to Anderson at shortstop, and he threw to third to double off pinch-runner Brett Phillips.“It’s a bang-bang play,” he said. “I guess (Phillips) didn’t think I could jump. It was close, but it was a good play to get us out of the jam.”Juan Minaya (2-2) pitched two scoreless innings for the win. Hector Santiago, the eighth Chicago pitcher Fred Lynn Jersey , picked up his second save in as many chances. Jose Rondon also homered for the White Sox, who snapped a seven-game skid, one game short of their season-worst losing streak.“Tim put a good swing on it,” manager Rick Renteria said. “All the guys in the dugout were hoping he would do something there, and he did.“Both teams did a good job of protecting the strike zone and limiting the scoring.”Adalberto Mondesi tied a career high with four hits and drove in both of Kansas City’s runs.Both teams wasted plenty of scoring chances. The Royals had five runners retired on the bases, while the White Sox left seven men on base.Royals starter Eric Skogland pitched five innings, allowing two runs on two hits, with two walks and two strikeouts. He made his first start since May 25 after a long stint on the disabled list with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament. He returned Sept. 4 and had pitched two scoreless innings in relief.“(Skogland) threw the ball really, really well,” Kansas City manager Ned Yost said. “Our pitching did a great job. … We just couldn’t find ways.”Carlos Rodon pitched six innings, allowing two runs on five hits.“My command wasn’t great today,” Rodon said. “The defense turned some nice double plays Wade Boggs Jersey , I got through six and the boys got the win.”Whit Merrifield stole two bases to bring his season total to 35, a new career high. He led the AL with 34 swipes last season and tops the league again this year.After Merrifield stole second in the third inning, Mondesi drove him in with a single for the game’s first run. Mondesi stole his 22nd base, his 17th since the All-Star break.The White Sox answered with two runs in the fourth on Rondon’s homer to left, scoring Avisail Garcia, who reached on a two-out walk.The Royals tied it in the fifth but had a chance for a bigger inning. Ryan O’Hearn reached on a one-out walk, and Merrifield followed with a double to the wall in left center. But O’Hearn went too far around third and was picked off. Merrifield then stole third and scored on Mondesi’s second RBI single.The White Sox had runners on second and third with one out in the seventh, and then loaded the bases with two outs. But Glenn Sparkman induced a fielder’s-choice grounder from Anderson to end the inning.The Royals loaded the bases in the seventh as well but did not score.TRAINER’S ROOMWhite Sox: INF Matt Davidson remains out of the lineup with what Renteria called sore knees. “Maybe these next four days are just giving him that time to recover,” Renteria said. … 3B Yoan Moncada was out of the lineup. “He’s a little sore in the hip,” Renteria said. “Today and a natural day off tomorrow, maybe that will help him.”Royals: INF Hunter Dozier was scratched with a sore back. “It’s nothing serious,” Dozier said before the game. “It’s just a little back tightness. It’s kind of built up and I woke up this morning pretty sore. I could have played http://www.redsoxproshops.com/authentic-dustin-pedroia-jersey , probably, but they decided to give me one day. I’ll be 100 percent tomorrow.”UP NEXTWhite Sox: RHP James Shields (6-16, 4.58 ERA) goes in Baltimore on Friday.Royals: RHP Heath Fillmyer (2-1, 4.75) will face Twins LHP Stephen Gonsalves (0-2, 11.68) on Thursday. It will be Fillmyer’s second consecutive start against the Twins. He took a no-decision in a 10-6 loss in Minneapolis last Friday, allowing six runs on six hits in 2 1/3 innings. Two Cy Young Award frontrunners will meet for the second time in less than a week Tuesday night in Philadelphia.Aaron Nola will square off against Max Scherzer as the Philadelphia Phillies host the Washington Nationals in the second contest of a three-game set at Citizens Bank Park. Washington was a 5-3 winner Monday night in the series opener, which pushed Philadelphia (70-61) 3 1/2 games behind the Atlanta Braves in the National League East. Article continues below ...Nola (15-3, 2.13 ERA) and Scherzer (16-6, 2.13) did not disappoint in their meeting last week. But Nola got the best of the two-time defending NL Cy Young winner, improving to 3-0 versus Washington this season.Nola threw eight scoreless innings and had nine strikeouts in the Phillies’ 2-0 win. Nola allowed five hits and one walk in the outing, which marked the 15th time in 26 starts that he gave up one earned run or fewer.The start was accentuated by an eighth-inning strikeout of Bryce Harper, the last batter Nola faced. His manager made a case for Nola as the league’s top pitcher after the game.“It’s tough to account for three pitches Pedro Martinez Jersey , and I think part of that is why Aaron Nola in my opinion is the Cy Young this year,” Phillies manager Gabe Kapler told MLB.com “Of course, Nola is our guy. I watch him every time out there and just the dependability, the consistency, the creativity, the numbers. The numbers speak for themselves.”Nola and Scherzer are tied for the second-best ERA in the NL. New York Mets right-hander Jacob deGrom, the other pitcher in the Cy Young conversation, has the only better ERA at 1.71. Nola is tied for second in the National League in WHIP (0.97), third in innings pitched (169) and tied for fifth in strikeouts (169). Scherzer leads the league in all three of those categories.Going for his third straight NL Cy Young win and fourth trophy overall, Scherzer has posted dominant numbers in 2018. He has 244 strikeouts, 181 2/3 innings pitched and a 0.89 WHIP through 27 starts.He had 10 strikeouts against the Phillies on Thursday, marking the 14th time he has hit double digits this season. The only damage against the 34-year-old in his last start was a two-run homer from Odubel Herrera.“That was the one pitch that beat me Hanley Ramirez Jersey ,” Scherzer told MLB.com after the loss.Scherzer’s best strikeout game of the year came May 6 against the Phillies when he struck out 15 batters in 6 1/3 innings. Scherzer is 9-2 with a 2.51 ERA and 0.96 WHIP in 16 career starts against Philadelphia.Nola, meanwhile, has a 3.57 career ERA against the Nationals, and he has limited them to three earned runs in three starts (21 2/3 innings) this season. The 25-year-old also has a perfect record at home this season. Nola is 9-0 with a 2.00 ERA and 10 strikeouts per nine innings at Citizens Bank Park.The Phillies, who are 41-23 at home this season, have lost 12 of their last 18 games and are 3 1/2 games back in the division for the first time since June 26.The Nationals (66-66) are 13-13 in August and eight games behind Atlanta.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds